I've Got A Clan of Gingerbread Men


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



The Vindictives - Bike
Pink Floyd - Bike

(Too many covers? Too soon for more Vindictives?)

Did you ever like a band because you were supposed to? When I was first getting into music, my entry way was 'classic rock' mostly via KLSX and their annual Labor Day Top 100 Countdown. One year I taped the top 25 or so and tried desperately to take note of who sang which song. There were a few tracks by Pink Floyd, who up until that point were purely a band I had seen t-shirts for. They seemed good enough and seemed to mentioned in the same breath as The Doors, Zepplin or The Who. So eventually I decided I needed to own at least Dark Side of the Moon. I listened to it a bit (since it was probably among the 6 CDs I owned) but could never totally get into it and let my interest in Pink Floyd fade away.

The story could end there. Or I could have been completely turned off to the band after I discovered just who really listened to Pink Floyd and wore those t-shirts. But whenever "Comfortably Numb" or "Money" came on the radio throughout the years, I'd at least listen for a little while before changing the station.

Harsh Segue.

The Vindictives released a double-10" of all cover songs in the mid-nineties, Partytime for Assholes, which was intended to be a tribute to the various bands but comes closer to a Dickies tribute. One of my first music-geek projects was to compile all of the original songs. This was before the days of the internet and I spent a lot of time listening to friends and digging through bargain 45 bins. I compiled most of the songs but there were a few that always alluded me.

On a random spur, I decided to get out my old CD copy of Partytime where all of the songs are combined into one long track. With my new computer skills, I realized I could finally break up that CD into a listenable version. Then I realized, why don't I just google some of these lyrics for which I never discovered the original artist.

One of the strangest songs covered is "Bike." I always wondered who could sing a song about mouse who hasn't got a house. (I don't why I call him Gerald.) The lyrics seemed almost a perfect for the Vindictives who once sang, "Everything I've got has certain places to go: a self for that thing and a drawer for that thing." And the stripped down punk version leaves a lot to the imagination as to the original music.

Google wasn't exactly straight with me. But I did find a post on someone's MySpace page with the complete lyrics attributed to S. Barrett. A little cross referencing and sure enough, "Bike" is a Pink Floyd tune. Closing out Pink Floyd's debut album, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, the deceptively simplistic structure and lyrics at the opening of the track mark a harsh contrast to the open orchestrated-noise given a minute-and-a-half in the song's finale. And keep in mind this was released within months of Sgt. Pepper's... There must have been something in the water; I think it was LSD.

(Buy Piper at the Gates of Dawn at Amazon.)
(Buy Partytime for Assholes at Amazon.)


8 Responses to “I've Got A Clan of Gingerbread Men”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Always loved Bike - thanks for putting it up there! It goes so well with the earliest P Floyd singles, Arnold Lane & See Emily Play. For me, the only good Floyd is the Syd Barret Floyd - he was the only sane one, as Bike proves.

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    yep yep yep.... early floyd , what a wonderfull thing it is... i havent heard the vindictives version yet though... but ive allways loved "bike" so it should be cool. thanks for all the great music guys. :)

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Good design!
    [url=http://inkmaonf.com/meww/fcfp.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://uplrqipl.com/yokh/riss.html]Cool site[/url]

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Good design!
    My homepage | Please visit

  5. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Good design!
    My homepage | Please visit

  6. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Nice site!
    http://inkmaonf.com/meww/fcfp.html | http://nbbeuokh.com/mpli/isbu.html

  7. Anonymous Anonymous 

    They are currently out playing some shows here on the west coast and from what I’ve heard they are a band to see live.

  8. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Hi! Very nice site! Thanks you very much! ynyuydhfks

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


CACOPHONY AND COFFEE

  • OR POP HISTORY
  • OF NONEVENTFUL YEARS:
  • AN MP3 WEBLOG

Previous posts

Archives

Links

Disclaimers

  • Songs posted here are only available for a limited time and are for evaluation purposes only. If you like the music, please show your support and buy the records.

  • Feel free to contact Jeff or Patrick if you are a band, label or distributor and think we'd be interested in your music.
  • If you are the copyright holder of a song being featured on this blog and want us to take it down, let us know, and it will be removed from the server immediately.


  • Site Feed